These foods will keep your body healthy and your heart—and arteries—VERY happy!
- Kiwifruit. This healthy and tasty fruit was originally native to southern China. A recent Taiwanese study looked at the effects of kiwi on cholesterol. It turns out it‘s a powerful HDL (good) cholesterol booster! These are great by themselves or mix them up in a fresh, healthy fruit salad!
- Oats. It’s definitely heart-healthy because it’s rich in soluble fibre. This is the kind of fibre your body can absorb, and as a result it helps reduce your LDL (bad) cholesterol. It’s pretty bland by itself, so add some berries, and an all-natural sweetener like Splenda to make this a truly tasty, heart-healthy treat.
- Red grapes. Make sure you eat the skins! About a cup a day is all you need. Red grapes contain the powerful antioxidant resveratrol, which has been scientifically proven to benefit your heart and overall health. Part of the reason for this, is that it helps your body “strain” out the fat from your arteries!
- Fatty fish. Fish like salmon, mackerel, and herring are great sources of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. They help reduce inflammation and boost HDL cholesterol.
- Nuts. If you need a tasty and heart-healthy snack, reach for a handful of nuts. They are a great plant source of omega 3 fats. The best choices are walnuts, almonds, and macadamia nuts.
- Beans. Black or kidney beans are the best for your heart. They are a great source of magnesium, which is a critical mineral for your heart’s health and function. In fact, many studies have also found a link between magnesium deficiency and heart disease.